Church of St. Filippo Neri

Churches, Culture
Via Vittorio Veneto, 87 - 96100 Siracusa

    The Church dedicated to “San Filippo Neri” is one of the most important churches of Ortigia which serves as church for many districts of eastern Ortigia (Sperduta and Mastrarua). Established in early 1600, the church was redesigned in Baroque style after the 1693 earthquake by architect Giovanni Vermexio. After the 80 and 90’s restoration the Church is freely accessible and is still open for worship.

    The Church of San Filippo Neri presents a baroque style very austere but elegant at the same time. The facade, perhaps unfinished because of the  lack of the bell tower, has Ionic columns with geometric decorations.

    The main door has a rectangular shape, and at its top there are two grotesque masks from which two sirens starts; here there is a small carved figure similar to a lizard, that would be the “signature” of the architect Giovanni Vermexio (another similar figure is placed at Siracusa City Hall, also designed by the same architect).

    The interior of the church has a single aisle with Corinthian decorations and light shades stucco. Is also worth noting the pavement depicting an enigmatic abstract design that would form a “cross”. At the core of this hypothetical “Cross” is the trapdoor ossuary where the parishioners were buried. Of particular value are also the baroque altars and other artworks inside the church.